Company: The Review
Category: Community Newspaper
Job: Journalism and Multimedia Paid Internship
Location: Vankleek Hill, ON
Deadline to apply: N/A
Duration: 4 months, 35 hours hours/week.
Schedule is flexible but office hours are between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Six weeks minimum preferred. Length to be determined.
The Review is an award-winning weekly community newspaper located in Vankleek Hill, Ontario. Vankleek Hill is located halfway between Montreal and Ottawa, about one hour’s drive from both cities.
The intern will write, cover news, shoot videos, record audio interviews, and be part of the community radio station and online initiatives.
The tasks will consist in:
• Gather story ideas and write/produce news stories
• Work with staff to generate copy for the new website, including multi-media items and news updates.
• Fact check, proofread, format, and edit as necessary.
• Create videos and other multimedia communications to supplement news stories, cover music and the arts
• Perform related duties as required
The Review is looking for an exchange. Intern will share ideas and new skills. In return, journalists at The Review will provide established journalism skills, multimedia skills, and sound editing skills.
An intern at The Review is a chance to meet people and explore the student’s creativity as the team will give the freedom to float some new ideas in an open work environment.
• Bilingualism is a must.
• Intern must have valid driver’s license, good if they own or have access to transportation during the day and evening and own digital camera.
• Be registered in a journalism-related college or university program, or a recent graduate of a journalism or multi-media program.
• News writing experience preferred.
• Excellent writing, editing, and organizational skills.
• Attention to detail.
• Self-starter who can take direction and contribute ideas.
THE APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT:
Cover letter, resume and 2 writing samples or links to their work.
For more information, or to apply, please submit your resume to:
76 Main Street East
Vankleek Hill, ON, K0B 1R0
The Review will provide local accommodation in a beautiful bed and breakfast, in the countryside near Vankleek Hill. Kitchen access. Meals will be up to the student.
A $250 per week allowance will be paid to the intern.
The regular journalist gas mileage rate will be paid to the intern for mileage costs incurred for story or event coverage.