JOB DESCRIPTION – 2019-20 Season
TITLE: U SPORTS Correspondent
TYPE OF POSITION: Volunteer position (EN and FR positions)
REPORTS TO: Manager, Communications
APPLICATIONS DEADLINE: August 7, 2018
START DATE: August 2019 – July 2020
About U SPORTS
U SPORTS is the national brand for University Sports in Canada. Every year, close to 20,000 student-athletes and 700 coaches from 56 universities vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. U SPORTS also provides higher performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, as well as numerous World University Championships.
U SPORTS is looking for student-journalists to join our writing team for the 2019-20 season.
As a U SPORTS Correspondent, you will have the opportunity to cover stories throughout the year in our 12 sports, leading up to 21 national championships to be held in November, February and March, or on the U SPORTS International Programs. We are looking for features, human interest stories and players profiles on the student-athletes competing at our 56 schools across the country.
Content produced will be pitched to our media partners including TVA Sports, The Globe & Mail, and others.
At the end of each season, U SPORTS awards the Story of the Year to the correspondent with the best article that is engaging, and has a strong storytelling narrative, while also recognizing one outstanding writer with the Correspondent of the Year award. The Globe and Mail serves as the presenting sponsoring of the awards, supporting grassroots journalism and celebrating student sports journalism in Canada.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• • Pitching feature story ideas to U SPORTS communications department
• • Interviewing U SPORTS student-athletes, coaches and staff
• • Writing human interest features to deadline and blog-style posts for USPORTS.ca
• • Sharing content including stories and videos on social media platforms
• • Representing the U SPORTS brand in a professional manner
• • Working toward a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or related undergraduate programs
• • Excellent writing skills in English or in French – We are looking for both!
• • Knowledge of Social Media platforms
• • Self-starter and strong work ethic
• • Experience in sports writing with campus newspaper or Sports Information Department is an asset
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and sports writing samples to:
When submitting your application, please indicate your primary (1) and secondary (up to 3) choices of sport that you would like to cover from the choices below:
Women’s Field Hockey
FISU World University Championships
National Team Participation
Track & Field