Company: Journalists for Human Rights’ Indigenous Reporters Program
Job: Program Manager – 40 h per Week
Location: JHR head office is located in Toronto, Ontario. Working remotely will be considered based on relevance to the program.
Deadline to apply: May 4, 2018
The Program Manager will oversee all aspects of Journalists for Human Rights’ Indigenous Reporters Program (IRP). The IRP is aimed at increasing the quality and quantity of Indigenous stories and voices in Canadian media. It does this by offering a series of scholarships, internships, professional development workshops for journalists and skills development training in First Nations communities.
The ideal candidate will excel at managing and develop complex programs and strengthening project partnerships. Balancing budgets with aplomb will come as second nature and they will thrive while writing progress reports to funders. They will also have experience working in and/or with Indigenous communities and groups in Canada and be familiar with the current Indigenous political landscape. While not required, they would also have some experience in journalism and facilitating workshops.
- Relevant post-secondary diploma/degree in program management, Indigenous studies, international development or related area of study;
- Proven track record working with donors, partners and stakeholders in program development and implementation;
- Experience working in Indigenous communities or with Indigenous organizations;
- Experience working in fast-paced, diverse and dynamic teams in which many team members are in remote locations;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks in a time-sensitive environment, meet deadlines, and ensure high-quality targets are delivered with a strong attention to detail;
- Demonstrated experience writing communications material;
- Experience in an NGO, not-for-profit environment (2-3 years);
- Experience in journalism and/or working with the media sector is preferred but not mandatory;
- Experience in facilitating and developing workshops;
- Proven commitment to JHR’s core values and mission statement;
- Ability and willingness to travel within Canada;
- First Nations, Metis and Inuit applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 4, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. EST. The application should highlight project management expertise and, if applicable, experience working in and/or with Indigenous communities or organizations.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, so applicants are encouraged to submit applicants before the deadline.
For more information: