- $1,000.00 CAD
- Free one year membership with the CAJ
- One free pass to the annual CAJ national conference
About the Scholarship
“As developers of PDF converter, creator and editor solutions, we know what an important role data has to play in our everyday lives and especially in the news. Now more than ever, factual data analysis is crucial to the integrity of investigative reporting, and learning to do so accurately is essential. That’s why we’re getting involved right where it matters most when it comes to the future of the journalism industry — the students.
Our aim for this scholarship is to support and encourage journalism students by helping them with the costs of their education, which can often be a hindrance to their career. Not only that, but we intend for this scholarship to serve as a way to help prepare students for a career path as a journalist by getting them to think about the industry and its ever increasing emphasis on data.”
The Investintech – CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship is open to students who show an interest in data journalism and are:
- Majoring in a journalism program, working towards either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
- Currently accepted to or enrolled in a college or university in Canada.
- Pursuing a course of studies leading to an undergraduate or graduate degree in journalism.
Submission and Application Details
Submitted work may be a published item, class assignment or even an item on a personal blog.
- Work must have been produced within one calendar year of the scholarship closing date.
- Individual work is preferred. If submitted item is produced as part of a team of two or more, applicant must have done the bulk of the work.
- Previous winners are not eligible to apply.
The submission must include:
- An example of a work of journalism that shows the application of data skills (e.g. use of spreadsheets, web scraping, use of mapping tool).
- An explanation of what you did and how you did it, including the resources you used.
- An idea for a project you would like to work on, particularly if you had more data journalism skills.
- A letter of support from an instructor or editor.
Deadline: April 1, 2020