CBC is accepting applications for its Fall 2019 News & Network Talk Internship Program
Placements include: As It Happens, Because News, CBC Books (digital only), CBC Podcasts, The Current, Day 6, Ideas, Now or Never (Winnipeg), Out in the Open, Podcast Playlist, q, Quirks & Quarks and The Sunday Edition.
CBC Internship requirements:
• Interns must be enrolled in a journalism program recognized by CBC.
• Internship must be a requirement of the program.
• Students must not have already interned in an editorial role at the CBC.
• Students must be in—or about to enter—their final year of study at the time of the internship.
• Interns must be available to spend six consecutive weeks on a FULL TIME basis at CBC. Full time does not mean trying to juggle studies and/or employment while undertaking an internship. Freelance work is permissible in certain cases. Please notify us.
• Most shifts run Monday through Friday; some Thursday through Sunday and Friday through Monday. Some shifts begin early in the morning or in late afternoon/evening.
• The CBC cannot accommodate non-consecutive schedules or individual requests outside of our six week FULL TIME model.
• Interns must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident. Although interns are not paid, CBC needs to ensure they could be employed following the internship. International students can only be considered if they hold a work permit that is valid from the time of the application deadline until several months after the internship end date.
• Students must be covered for the costs of WSIB through the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. CBC will sign a declaration, provided by the academic institution, confirming our commitment to report workplace injuries. Please note we will sign ONE declaration letter per institution, per internship period.
• Internships take place at the CBC Broadcast Centre in Toronto. In select cases, interns who indicate an interest may be assigned to our Digital Bureau in Hamilton.
• Internships are unpaid. Interns are responsible for accommodation and travel.
• Please note these are editorial internships, NOT technical.
• CBC will not consider any student application unless recommended by their department.
Recommended students will be invited to apply beginning April 12th, 2019 They will receive an email with instructions and the application link. The deadline for applications is April 29, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
Students will be required to submit a portfolio of up to four work samples showcasing their work on various platforms. CBC will contact students directly to arrange interviews, which will take place at the CBC Broadcast Centre in Toronto, or by video conference.
For recommendation, contact Journalism Internship Coordinator Prof. Wayne Larsen at firstname.lastname@example.org before April 11.