Company: The Canadian Journalism Foundation / Globe And Mail
Category: Newspaper Organization
Job: Paid Internship for Investigative Journalism
Location: Toronto, ON
Deadline to apply: February 24, 2017
Duration: 6 months, starts in June (or time to be agreed upon), in 2017.
This internship will bring a journalist to The Globe and Mail to pursue a six-month long investigative journalism project under the guidance of editors and senior reporters.
The candidate will work with a senior team at The Globe and Mail in Toronto on an on-going investigation focussed on public accountability, corporate responsibility and government funding.
The intern duties include:
• reporting and writing
• filing FOI requests
• taking photographs
• shooting and editing video
• and designing on multiple platforms.
The candidate will receive a stipend of $750/week for a six-month internship.
The Globe and Mail will provide talented, young journalists with resources and mentorship to fortify their skills and contribute to an important story in the public interest.
The goal of the program is to provide an opportunity for the intern to stretch his or her investigative journalism skills with the help of some of the country’s best reporters and editors.
The candidates should:
• be emerging journalists who want to immerse themselves in an investigative reporting environment.
• be a Canadian journalist early in his or her career (one to five years experience).
• have completed at least one professional news media job or internship at a daily news organization.
THE APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT:
• Cover letter, addressing how the candidate will contribute to the process/project. Please note that a story pitch is not necessary.
• Work examples (five to seven pieces that demonstrate skills and range of experience)
• Recommendation letter from at least two professional or school references
For more information, or to apply, please submit your resume to:
It’s an online application.
If you have questions, please contact Natalie Turvey, CJF executive director, at email@example.com.
The winner will be announced at the CJF Awards at the Fairmont Royal York in Toronto on June 8, 2017. Early-bird rates for tickets and tables are available until March 31, 2017.