LOCATION: Toronto, ON
SALARY: $54011 – $67876
Date: June 8, 2015
Position Title: (PD1) Online Editor TVO.org
Division: Current Affairs and Documentaries
Reports To: Executive Producer, Digital
Salary Scale: $54,011.88 – $67,876.12
Location: Midtown Toronto on the Yonge subway line
TVOis Ontario’s public educational media organization and a trusted source of interactive educational content that informs, inspires, and stimulates curiosity and thought. Our vision is to empower people to be engaged citizens of Ontario through educational media.
TVO.org is the digital platform for Current Affairs and Documentaries at TVO, providing unique, in-depth current affairs content from an Ontario perspective.
Under the overall responsibility and authority of the Executive Producer, Digital, the Online Editor PD1, in collaboration with other producers, will write, produce and manage web content across online, mobile and social media channels. The Online Editor must keenly understand social media and generate content that attracts and engages audiences.
The Ideal Candidate:
The successful candidate will possess the skills and understanding to practice journalism in this envrionment, using all of the tools in the online toolkit (e.g. video, audio, photography, written material) and will have strong content management literacy. The work must meet editiorial, artistic, intellectual, and technical quality standards in accordance with the program plan and concept. Work must be completed within a specified timeframe and resource allocation. Initiative, independent judgment and creatifivty are required. Work must adhere to TVO’s program policies, standards, and practices.
* Attend daily editorial and monthly features/packaging meetings
* Pitch daily story ideas, features and editorial packages
* Assign stories to digital media producers, including writers, video producers and multimedia designers
* Manage editorial content development and production
* Create original online content
* Write display copy for editorial content
* Adhere to TVO.org Style Guide and user experience/design standards
* Research and curate image content
* Promote content through social media
* Build online community across web, mobile and social media
* Moderate website comments
* Manage website content curation
* Perform basic web maintenance activities
* Produce digital interactive content (e.g. polls, maps, graphs)
* Assist and support Executive Producer, Digital in planning and exeuction of editorial campaigns and larger organizational initiatives
Defining Key Tasks:
* Write and publish descriptive metadata for content created
* Provide copy/information or other rich media related as required
* Ensure, in collaboration with Copywright Clearance Officer or other, the proper and accurate clearance of all material used on the site
* Use all website production resources in an efficient and effective manner
As required, performs the following tasks:
* Liaise with other departments in matters relating to the assignments
* Work with the Executive Producer, Digital, to ensure that the editorial process is efficient and productive
* Perform any tasks of a lower classification
* Perform other directlty related duties
Key Skills Required:
* Demonstrated ability in writing and editing journalistic content coupled with an understanding of the special requirements of writing for the web, such as the use of keywords, navigation and the imortance of brevity
* Demonstrated ability in writing editorial for the web, including short articles, feature stories and display copy (e.g. headlines and short descriptions)
* Experience working with multiple writers and multimedia producers
* Basic knowledge of HTML, including applying hyperlinks and basic formatting
* Basic understanding of digital content marketing, including social media and SEO
* Having a strong online ‘following’ a plus.
* University or college graduate in relevant program(s), including: journalism, writing and communications
* 5+ year’s experience working in journalistic media
* Experience as an editor at an online organization, magazine or newspaper
* Strong attention to detail in editing, writing, fact-checking and proofreading
* Strong communication and organizational skills
* Must be able to establish priorities and work effectively to meet deadlines
* Highly motivated with strong interpersonal skills and with the ability to thrive in a team environment
* Passionate about editorial content and digital media
* Voracious news and multimedia consumer with experience in creating web content, preferably in the area of current/public affairs
* Demonstrated editorial judgment and skills across a variety of media types
* Experience working with an online content management system an asset.
When applying, please include links to recent web writing and content samples.
If you are contacted for an interview, please bring your portfolio.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by the stated date and time.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at www.tvo.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate potential applicants with disabilities
throughthe Talent and Engagement office. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario. We thank all applicants for
their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.