Company: Pink Triangle Press
Category: Canada’s leading LGBT media organization
Job: Social Media Editor – full time
Location: Toronto, ON
Deadline to apply: N/A
Duration: N/A, flexible hours
Founded in 1971 to advance the struggle for sexual liberation, Pink Triangle Press (“PTP”) is Canada’s leading LGBT media organization. Pink Triangle Press publish DailyXtra.com, DailyXtraTravel.com, and we run the gay adult hookup site Squirt.org
Daily Xtra’s mission engagement department is seeking a full-time Social Media Editor to join itsr team in the Toronto office.
• Engaging our existing and emerging online audiences (primarily DailyXtra.com) by actively shaping,
• Strengthening and sustaining conversations online
• Fostering an environment that’s conducive to meaningful conversation
• Tightening relationships between our journalism and our audiences.
You will participate in content creation and editing in the digital journalism pod, and you will also offer support and assistance with our many offline engagement activities.
PTP is committed to Employment Equity, and to providing a fair and equitable work environment. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal people, those living with disabilities, and people who are visible minorities. PTP is a trans-inclusive organization.
The ideal candidate has:
• Social presence on multiple platforms; Native Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Tumblr, Vine, Snapchat and/or Reddit user
• Journalism skills: strong editorial news judgment and knowledge of ethics, practices and standards; understanding of copyright, libel and obscenity laws
• Editing and writing skills; substantive and structural editing; accuracy and fact-checking; grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax; adherence to style; ability to work with visuals, video, audio, infographics and other components to create and post multimedia content
• consume and engage with online news media and understand what works in digital journalism
• A strong sense of what makes a story compelling and what inspires people to share stories
• Knowledge of Canada’s LGBTQ communities, sexual politics and cultures
• Social media content generation: infographics, animated gifs, video, surveys, quizzes, memes; content appropriate to medium
• Social media skills: content promotion; execute audience- and traffic-building and reader engagement tactics, as required
• Diplomatic, effective listening and communication skills, an ability to constructively steer even controversial conversations and de-escalate where necessary, and deter trolls
• Skilled at a collaborative work process; maintain a positive and inspiring attitude and a sense of humour in a fast-paced, deadline-driven workplace
Additional desirable skills and experience for this role are:
• Knowledge of web metrics; experience using industry standard online analytic platforms
• Knowledge of content styling (headline and body text keywords, tags, hashtags, etc) to maximize SEO results
• Librarian-like research and information storage and retrieval skills
• Knowledge of mass media and internet
• Knowledge of advertising and its relationship with editorial (specifically native advertising and sponsored advertising)
• Knowledge of Pink Triangle Press’ history, mission and role within the national and local communities.
THE APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT:
To apply, send your resume and cover letter.
For more information, or to apply, please submit your resume to:
Nia Herlihy, Talent Management Director: email@example.com
We have an attractive compensation package including 100% company-paid benefits, an Employee and Family Assistance Program, and a matched pension plan.
PTP is also committed to ensuring accessible services and communications to individuals with disabilities. Once an applicant has been selected for an interview, requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants should make their accommodation needs known when contacted.